An “EVERGEEN” is a tree or plant with foliage that persists and retains its color throughout the year. It is- forever green.
I like to think of this when I think of Shibley. We remain evergreen even when the camp season is over. At the core of everything that we do at Shibley are our GREEN values: generosity, respect, empathy, endurance and nurture. These values are talked about and encouraged throughout the summer season.
We see the green values symbols throughout camp. We have green Fridays and we praise a camper when they exhibit one of these values. We invite our families to participate in off-season events that help us in keeping the GREEN shining bright throughout the year!! Our staff models behavior we expect from our children at these events and during each day at camp.
How to encourage these values at home:
As a parent I like to continue encouraging and incorporating the GREEN values in my home. I want these values to permeate through my house all year long. I want my children to be little everGREENS 🙂 I think that one of the best ways to do this is through stories and books. There are so many fantastic books that focus on each of our GREEN values. Here are some of our family favorites. I hope you enjoy them!
- Piggie and Elephant: Should I Share My Ice Cream? By Mo Willems
- Can I play too? By Mo Willems
- A Visitor For Bear By Bonny Becker
- The Earth book By Todd Parr
- Do Unto Otters- A book about manners By Laurie Keller
- Pout Pout Fish and the Bully, Bully Shark By Deborah Diesen
- You, Me and Empathy By Jayneen Sanders
- Empathy is your Superpower By Cori Bussolari
- We’re All Wonders By R.J. Palacio
- Leopold By Dr. Ruth Westheimer
- Rosie Revere, Engineer By Andrea Beaty
- What Do You Do With A Problem By Kobi Yamada
- Have you Filled a Bucket Today? By Carol McCloud
- Maple and Willow Together By Lori Nichols
- Stick and Stone By Beth Ferry and Tom Lichtenheld